A Straightforward Explanation Of A Name Change In South Carolina

By Alex Kornfeld, Esq.  

If you would like to change your name in the state of South Carolina and it is not due to marriage or pursuant to a divorce you must provide:

(1)   Your fingerprints and a criminal background check must be conducted by the State Law Enforcement Division or SLED.  Your fingerprints should be taken by your local law enforcement agency.  The background check cost $25.

(2)   A statement from the Department of Social Services (DSS) that states whether you are on the department’s Central Registry of Child Abuse and Neglect. 

(3)   A sworn statement written and signed by you stating whether you are under a court order to pay child support or alimony.

(4)   A statement from the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division stating whether you are on the sex offender registry. 

After you and your attorney provide the following information to the Court, a hearing will be set and a Judge will make an informed decision and determine whether to grant your name change. 

Within 10 days of your name change you must change your name on your South Carolina DMV records. When you change your name with the department, all of the vehicle and driver records that relate to you will be updated.

To change your name you must visit a DMV office, complete Form 4057, and present proper documentation such as your court order.  You cannot change your name by mail or online.  Information about changing your name on your driver’s license can be found at SCDMVonline.com.

Whether you have plans to change your name like Chad Ochocinco of the NFL or Metta World Peace of the NBA or whether you are changing your name to a former name you have your right to be heard before a Family Court in South Carolina. 

Alex Kornfeld is a lawyer in Greenville, South Carolina.  He primarily practices law in the area of family law, criminal defense, and small business law. You can contact him at 864-335-9990 or alex@alexkornfeld.com   This article is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice or the formation of an attorney/client relationship.